Eggnog is a classic holiday drink that is enjoyed by many people around the world. It is made with milk, cream, sugar, and beaten eggs, and is often flavored with spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Some people like to add a splash of rum or bourbon to give it a little extra kick, and this is where spiked eggnog comes in.
Spiked eggnog is simply eggnog that has been made with an added spirit, such as rum or bourbon. It is a popular choice for holiday parties and gatherings, and can be served either cold or hot. If you prefer your eggnog hot, you can simply heat it up on the stove with the spirit of your choice, and serve it in a mug or a punch bowl. If you prefer it cold, you can mix up a batch of eggnog and then add the spirit before chilling it in the refrigerator.
One of the great things about spiked eggnog is that it is very easy to make. All you need is a blender or a hand mixer, and a few simple ingredients. Here is a recipe for homemade spiked eggnog that serves about eight people:
- 6 cups of milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 cup of sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1 cup of rum or bourbon (or a combination of both)
- In a blender or a large mixing bowl, combine the milk, cream, sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Blend or beat until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a large saucepan and heat it over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches 160°F.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the rum or bourbon.
- Pour the eggnog into a punch bowl or a large pitcher, and chill it in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.
To serve, ladle the eggnog into glasses or mugs, and garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg on top. You can also add a splash of rum or bourbon to each serving, if desired.
Spiked eggnog is a delicious and festive holiday drink that is sure to be a hit at any party. Whether you prefer it hot or cold, it is sure to bring a little cheer to your holiday season. So why not give it a try this year? Your friends and family will thank you!